Too Small to Fail.
College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
[button link=”http://msrj.chm.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MSRJ-Winter-2013-Too-Small-to-Fail.pdf” type=”icon” icon=”download” color=green] Full Text Article PDF [/button]
Corresponding Author: Chad Klochko; chad[at]msrj.chm.msu.edu
Key Words: N/A
On December 7, 2012, Nicholas Kristof, two-time Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, wrote a compelling article about people in poverty in the United States. The article, which appeared in the New York Times, describes the plight of young children who are failing in school and who are not acquiring the skills needed to move forward in their education, and tragically, in some cases, parents are allowing them to fail.
Published: February 27, 2013
Senior Editor: N/A
Junior Editor: N/A
Klochko C. Too Small to Fail. Medical Student Research Journal. 2013;2(Winter):17-18.
1. Kristof N. Profiting from a child’s illiteracy. The New York Times, 7 December 2012. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/kristof-profiting-from-a-childs-illiteracy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 [cited 23 January 2013].
2. Kathy R, Pavetti L. SSI and children with disabilities: just the facts. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Available from: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3875 [cited 23 January 2013].
3. U.S. House. Committee on ways and means. Supplemental security income for children hearing, 17, October 2011. Available from: http://waysandmeans.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=270423 [cited 19 January 2013].
4. Social security administration. Annual statistical supplement report, 2012 (Table 7.e4). Available from: http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/ssi_asr/2010/sect10.html#table69 [cited 17 January 2013].
5. Hemmeter J, Kauff J, Wittenburg D. Changing circumstances: experiences of child SSI recipients before and after their age-18 redetermination for adult benefits. J Vocat Rehabil. 2009; 30:201-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/JVR-2009-0462.
6. DeCesaro A, Hemmeter J. Unmet health care needs and medical out-of-pocket expenses of SSI children. J Vocat Rehabil. 2009; 30:3. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/JVR-2009-0461.
7. About Us. Save the Children. (2012, December). Available from: http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6146405/k.C7E9/About_Us.htm [cited 23 January 2013].
8. The Power and Promise of Education. Save the Children. (n.d.). Available from: http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6153015/k.E633/Education.htm [cited 23 January 2013].
9. What is Health Literacy? National Institutes of Health. (2012, March 5). Available from: http://www.nih.gov/clearcommunication/healthliteracy.htm [cited 23 January 2013].
10. Weir E. Illiteracy as a public health issue. CMAJ. 2001; 164:1486. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/164/10/1486.full.pdf+html
11. Kutner M, Greenberg E, Jin Y, Paulsen C. The health literacy of America’s adults: results from the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy. National Center for Education Statistics. Available from: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/2006483.pdf [cited 23 January 2013].