The Role of Ultrasound Screening in Reducing AAA Mortality: A Review.
Kashif Imran Ahmad.
Medical School, Liverpool University, Liverpool, England
[button link=”http://msrj.chm.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MSRJ-Winter-2013-The-Role-of-Ultrasound-Screening-in-Reducing-AAA-Mortality-a-Review.pdf” type=”icon” icon=”download” color=green] Full Text Article PDF [/button]
Corresponding author: Kashif Imran Ahmad; K.Ahmad[at]Lancaster.ac.uk
Key Words: population; screening; ultrasonography; abdominal aortic aneurysms; mortality; systematic review.
Men aged 65-79 are at the highest risk of having an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) as well as a high incidence of rupture; this is treated as a surgical emergency, which has a total mortality of 75-90%. The diameter of an AAA proves to be the most useful risk factor in predicting mortality rates.
Published: February 27, 2013
Senior Editor: Emina Bajrovic
Junior Editor: Bobby Gambhir
Ahmad KI. The Role of Ultrasound Screening in Reducing AAA Mortality: A Review. Medical Student Research Journal. 2013;2(Winter):3-10.
1. Marshall G. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm – does it fulfill the criteria for mass screening? Radiography. 1996; 2:3-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1078-8174(96)90029-2.
2. Scott R, Vardulaki K, Walker N, Day N, Duffy S, Ashton H. The long-term benefits of a single scan for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) at age 65. Eur J Vasc Endovasc. 2001; 21:535-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/ejvs.2001.1368.
3. Scott R, Bridgewater S, Ashton H. Randomized clinical trial of screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in women. Brit J Surg. 2002; 89:283-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.0007-1323.2001.02014.x.
4. Heronm M, Hoyert D, Murphy S, Xu J, Kochanek K,Tejada-Vera B. Deaths: final data for 2006. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2009; 57(14):34-86. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_14.pdf
5. Bown M, Sutton A, Bell P, Sayers R. A meta-analysis of 50 years of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Brit J Surg. 2002; 89:714-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.2002.02122.x.
6. UK Small Aneurysm Trial Participants. Long-term outcomes of immediate repair compared with surveillance of small abdominal aortic aneurysms. NEJM. 2002; 346(19):1445-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa013527.
7. Lederle F, Wilson S, Johnson G, et al. Immediate repair compared with surveillance of small abdominal aortic aneurysms. NEJM. 2002; 346(19):1437-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012573.
8. NHS (2011). NHS evidence screening. Available from: http://www.library.nhs.uk/screening/SearchResults.aspx?catID=15441&tabID=289&pgIndex0& [cited 15 April 2011].
9. Darling R, Messina C, Brewster D, Ottinger L. Autopsy study of unoperated abdominal aortic aneurysms. The case for early resection. Circulation. 1977; 56(2):161-4.
10. Lederle F, Johnson G, Wilson S, et al. The aneurysm detection and management study screening program: validation cohort and final results. Aneurysm detection and management veterans affairs cooperative study investigators. Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160:1425-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.160.10.1425.
11. Lederle F, Johnson G, Wilson S. Abdominal aortic aneurysm in women. J Vasc Surg. 2001; 34:122-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/mva.2001.115275.
12. Lindholt J, Henneberg E, Fasting H, Juul S. Hospital based screening of 65-73 year old men for abdominal aortic aneurysms in the county of Viborg, Denmark. J Med Screen. 1996; 3:43-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/096914139600300111.
13. Vardulaki K, Pervost T, Walker N, et al. Incidence among men of asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms: estimates from 500 screen detected cases. J Medl Screen. 1999; 6(1):50-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jms.6.1.50.
14. Earnshaw J, Shaw E, Whyman M, Poskitt K, Heather B. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms in men. Brit Med J. 2004; 328(7448):1122-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.328.7448.1122.
15. Kochanek K, Xu J, Murphy S, Miniño A, Kung H. Deaths: preliminary data for 2009. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2011; 59(11):1-69. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr59/nvsr59_04.pdf
16. Gillum R. Epidemiology of aortic aneurysm in the United States. J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48:1289-98. http://www.jclinepi.com/article/PII0895435695000453/abstract.
17. Watson JE. Medical-surgical nursing and related physiology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: W B Saunders; 1979, p. 351.
18. Adam D, Mohan I, Stuart W, Bain M, Bradbury A. Community and hospital outcome from ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm within the catchment area of a regional vascular surgical service. J Vasc Surg. 1999; 30:922-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0741-5214(99)70018-2.
19. Nusbaum J, Freimanis A, Thomford N. Echography in the diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Brit J Surg. 1971; 102:385-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1971.01350040147028.
20. Fleming C, Whitlock E, Beil T, Lederrle F. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: a best-evidence systematic review for the U.S. preventive services task force. Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142(3):203-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-142-3-200502010-00012.
21. Williamson W, Nicoloff A, Taylor LJ, Moneta G, Landry G, Porter J. Functional outcome after open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33:913-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/mva.2001.115164.
22. Huber T, Wang J, Derrow A, et al. Experience in the United States with intact abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33:304-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/mva.2001.112703.
23. Lindholt J. Considerations and experiences of screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms. Copenhagen: Fadl’s Forlag; 1998.
24. Wilmink A, Quick C. Epidemiology and potential for prevention of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Brit J Surg. 1998; 85(2):155-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.1998.00714.x.
25. Ferket B, Grootenboer N, Colkesen E, et al. Systematic review of guidelines on abdominal aortic aneurysm screening. J Vasc Surg. 2011; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2010.10.118.
26. Health Departments of the United Kingdom (1998). First Report of the National Screening Committee. National
Screening Committee, pp. 145. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/
documents/digitalasset/dh_084456.pdf [cited 15 April 2011].
27. Health Departments of the United Kingdom (2000). Second Report of the UK National Screening Committee. National Screening Committee, pp. 1-29. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4014560.pdf [cited 15 April 2011].
28. McGregor JC, Pollock JG, Anton HC. The value of ultrasonography in the detection of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Scot Med J. 1975; 20:133-7.
29. Leger A, Spencely M, McCollum C, Mossa M. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: a computer assisted cost-utility analysis. Eur J Vasc Endovasc. 1996; 11:183-90. http://www.ejves.com/article/S1078-5884%2896%2980049-9/abstract
30. Wilmink A, Forshaw M, Quick C, Hubbard C, Day N. Accuracy of serial screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms by ultrasound. J Med Screen. 2002; 9:125-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jms.9.3.125.
31. Lindholt J, Vammen S, Juul S, Henneberg E, Fasting H. The validity of ultrasonographic scanning as screening method for abdominal aortic aneurysm. Eur J Vasc Endovasc. 1999; 17(6):472-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/ejvs.1999.0835.
32. Greenhalgh T. How to read a paper – the basics of evidence-based medicine. 4th ed. BMJ Books. London: Wiley-Blackwell; 2010.
33. NHS (2011). CASP tools – RCT appraisal tool. Available from: http://www.sph.nhs.uk/sph-files/casp-appraisal-tools/rctap9-praisaltool.pdf/view [cited 17 April 2011].
34. NHS (2011). Critical appraisal skills programme. Available from: http://www.sph.nhs.uk/what-we-do/public-health-workforce/resources/critical-appraisals-skills-programme/ [cited 17 April 2011].
35. Scott R, Wilson N, Ashton H, Kay D. Influence of screening on the incidence of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: 5-year results of a randomized controlled study. Brit J Surg. 1995; 82(8):1066-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800820821.
36. Ashton H, Buxton M, Day N, et al. The multicentre aneurysm screening study (MASS) into the effect of abdominal aortic aneurysm screening on mortality in men: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2002; 360(9345):1531-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11522-4.
37. Norman P, Jamrozik K, Lawrence-Brown M, et al. Population based randomised controlled trial on impact of screening on mortality from abdominal aortic aneurysm. Brit Med J. 2004; 329:1259-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.330.7491.596.
38. Lindholt J, Juul S, Fasting H, Henneberg E. Hospital costs and benefits of screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms. Results from a randomised population screening trial. Eur J Vasc Endovasc. 2002; 23(1):55-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/ejvs.2001.1534.