Fall 2014 – A Review of the Psychological and Emotional Issues in Men with Prostate Cancer and their Partners
A Review of the Psychological and Emotional Issues in Men with Prostate Cancer and their Partners.
Author: Dane E. Klett
Author Affiliations: School of Medicine, Creighton University, Phoenix, AZ, USAFull Text Article PDF
Corresponding Author: Dane E. Klett
Key Words: sexual health; relationships; intimacy; radiotherapy; psycho-supportive treatment; hormone therapy.
Abstract: Howard L. Harrod on his struggles with prostate cancer (PCa): ‘Not only had I a sense of having been mutilated, but I had lost the very capacities that were symbolically associated with manhood’.1 Many patients with PCa experience this jolt to their sense of manhood, thus making PCa unique among the various cancer diagnoses and worthy of independent discussion.
In addition, PCa remains the most common male cancer and the third leading cause of all male cancer deaths.2 Most physicians are aware of the link between cancer and mental health issues, but many forget or overlook just how important it is to address a patient’s state of mental health.
Published on date: September 31, 2014
Senior Editor: Caela Hesano
Junior Editor: Regina Mater
Citation: Klett DE. A Review of the Psychological and Emotional Issues in Men with Prostate Cancer and their Partners. Medical Student Research Journal. 2014;4(Fall):4-7.
- Harrod HL. A piece of my mind. An essay on desire. JAMA. Feb 19 2003;289(7):813-814.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J. Clin. Jan 2013;63(1):11-30. doi:10.3322/caac.21166
- Watts S, Leydon G, Birch B, et al. Depression and anxiety in prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence rates. BMJ Open. 2014;4(3):e003901. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003901
- Jayadevappa R, Malkowicz SB, Chhatre S, Johnson JC, Gallo JJ. The burden of depression in prostate cancer. Psychooncology. Dec 2012;21(12):1338-1345. doi: 10.1002/pon.2032
- Sharpley CF, Bitsika V, Christie DR. Diagnosing ‘male’ depression in men diagnosed with prostate cancer: the next step in effective translational psycho-oncology interventions? Psychooncology. Apr 3 2014. doi: 10.1002/pon.3530
- Zisman A, Leibovici D, Kleinmann J, Siegel YI, Lindner A. The impact of prostate biopsy on patient well-being: a prospective study of pain, anxiety and erectile dysfunction. J. Urol. Feb 2001;165(2):445-454. doi: 10.1016/S0022-5347(05)65543-7
- Lintz K, Moynihan C, Steginga S, et al. Prostate cancer patients’ support and psychological care needs: Survey from a non-surgical oncology clinic. Psychooncology. Dec 2003;12(8):769-783. doi: 10.1002/pon.702
- Kunkel EJ, Bakker JR, Myers RE, Oyesanmi O, Gomella LG. Biopsychosocial aspects of prostate cancer. Psychosomatics. Mar-Apr 2000;41(2):85-94. doi: 10.1176/appi.psy.41.2.85
- Bergman J, Litwin MS. Quality of life in men undergoing active surveillance for localized prostate cancer. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. Monogr. Dec 2012;2012(45):242-249. doi: 10.1093/jncimonographs/lgs026
- Chipperfield K, Fletcher J, Millar J, et al. Predictors of depression, anxiety and quality of life in patients with prostate cancer receiving androgen deprivation therapy. Psychooncology. Mar 11 2013(22):2169-2176. doi: 10.1002/pon.3269
- Couper J, Bloch S, Love A, Duchesne G, Macvean M, Kissane D. Coping patterns and psychosocial distress in female partners of prostate cancer patients. Psychosomatics. Jul-Aug 2009;50(4):375-382. doi: 10.1176/appi.psy.50.4.375
- Lilleby W, Fossa SD, Waehre HR, Olsen DR. Long-term morbidity and quality of life in patients with localized prostate cancer undergoing definitive radiotherapy or radical prostatectomy. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. Mar 1 1999;43(4):735-743. doi: 10.1016/S0360-3016(98)00475-1
- Dahn JR, Penedo FJ, Gonzalez JS, et al. Sexual functioning and quality of life after prostate cancer treatment: considering sexual desire. Urology. Feb 2004;63(2):273-277. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2003.09.048
- Kissane DW, McKenzie M, Bloch S, Moskowitz C, McKenzie DP, O’Neill I. Family focused grief therapy: a randomized, controlled trial in palliative care and bereavement. Am. J. Psychiatry. Jul 2006;163(7):1208-1218. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.163.7.1208
- Couper JW, Love AW, Dunai JV, et al. The psychological aftermath of prostate cancer treatment choices: a comparison of depression, anxiety and quality of life outcomes over the 12 months following diagnosis. Med. J. Aust. Apr 6 2009;190(7 Suppl):S86-89.
- Kornblith AB, Herr HW, Ofman US, Scher HI, Holland JC. Quality of life of patients with prostate cancer and their spouses. The value of a data base in clinical care. Cancer. Jun 1 1994;73(11):2791-2802.
- Couper JW. The effects of prostate cancer on intimate relationships. The Journal of Men’s Health & Gender. 9// 2007;4(3):226-232. doi: 10.1016/j.jmhg.2007.04.008
- Singer PA, Tasch ES, Stocking C, Rubin S, Siegler M, Weichselbaum R. Sex or survival: trade-offs between quality and quantity of life. J. Clin. Oncol. Feb 1991;9(2):328-334.
- Tavlarides AM, Ames SC, Diehl NN, et al. Evaluation of the association of prostate cancer-specific anxiety with sexual function, depression and cancer aggressiveness in men 1 year following surgical treatment for localized prostate cancer. Psychooncology. Jun 2013;22(6):1328-1335. doi: 10.1002/pon.3138
- Hyun JS. Prostate cancer and sexual function. World J Mens Health. Aug 2012;30(2):99-107. doi: 10.5534/wjmh.2012.30.2.99
- Llorente MD, Burke M, Gregory GR, et al. Prostate cancer: a significant risk factor for late-life suicide. Am. J. Geriatr. Psychiatry. Mar 2005;13(3):195-201. doi: 10.1097/00019442-200503000-00004
- Dale HL, Adair PM, Humphris GM. Systematic review of post-treatment psychosocial and behaviour change interventions for men with cancer. Psychooncology. Mar 2010;19(3):227-237. doi: 10.1002/pon.1598
- Tyson MD, Andrews PE, Etzioni DA, et al. Marital status and prostate cancer outcomes. Can J Urol. Apr 2013;20(2):6702-6706. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.02.222
Latest posts by Jessica Wummel (see all)
- Vol. 4: Winter 2015 - January 1, 2015
- Winter 2015 – Care for Laotian Ethnic Minorities: A Cross-National Study of Medical Students in Laos and California - January 1, 2015
- Winter 2015 – Sticking to the Plan: Patient Preferences for Epidural Use During Labor - January 1, 2015
- Winter 2015 – In Situ Thrombosis of the Pulmonary Arteries: An Emerging New Perspective on Pulmonary Embolism - January 1, 2015
- Winter 2015 – Letter from the Editors - January 1, 2015